Last modified: [December 28, 2016]
We respect the privacy of our guests, users, and Members and are committed to protecting it through our compliance with this Policy. This Policy describes the types of information we may collect or that you (or, if applicable, your child) may provide via the website www.bavelblocks.com (“Bavel Blocks”), and our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting and disclosing such information.
This Policy applies to any information that we collect on Bavel Blocks, including any information in any e-mails, posts, texts and other electronic messages you and Bavel Blocks and any information about you transferred to Bavel Blocks from other websites. This Policy does not apply to any information that we collect by any other means, including offline collection.
Parents/Guardians: Please see the section below titled “Protecting Children’s Privacy” for information about our efforts to protect the privacy of users who are under the age of 13.
What Is Considered “Personal Information”?
Information we collect on Bavel Blocks falls into one of two categories:
- Information by which you (or, if applicable, your child) may be personally identified, such as first and last name; home or physical address; e-mail address, username or “screen” name; telephone number, including a mobile telephone number; photograph, video or audio file that contains your (or your child’s) image or voice; a “persistent identifier” used to recognize a user over time, such as a customer number held in a cookie, an internet protocol (IP) address or unique device ID; payment information such as credit card and billing information; and any other information collected that is directly connected to one or more of the categories of information listed here.
- Other information that is about you (or, if applicable, your child) but does not identify you (or your child) personally.
For the purposes of this Policy, information listed in the first category above is considered to be the “Personal Information” of you or your child. All other information that does not identify you or your child personally or that is “de-identified” is NOT considered Personal Information.
Information We Collect About You and How We Collect It
We may collect several types of information from and about guests, users and Members of Bavel Blocks, including Personal Information. The principal way we receive Personal Information about visitors to Bavel Blocks is when such persons choose to register for a membership via Bavel Blocks and fill out our registration form, or when a Member chooses to include his or her Personal Information in User Contributions he or she creates via Bavel Blocks.
Logging In to Bavel Blocks
Users and Members must log in to Bavel Blocks using such user’s log-in credentials that they maintain with a third party site or authentication service, such as Google+. Through this log-in procedure, the associated site or service’s user ID (typically simply a string of digits) is transmitted to Bavel Blocks and used to authenticate users and recognize them when they return to Bavel Blocks, e.g. so they can manage User Contributions they have saved on Bavel Blocks over time. If the applicable user is aged 13 or over, through this log-in procedure the user’s display name associated with their third party site or authentication service account may be transmitted to Bavel Blocks as well. No other information about the user (e.g., Personal Information accessible via such user’s account with such third party site or authentication service) is collected or retained as part of this log-in procedure, and the applicable user ID (or, if applicable, display name) is not disclosed to any third party or used by the Company for any other purpose except supporting the internal operations of Bavel Blocks.
Registering for a Membership
To become a Member of Bavel Blocks and access certain additional content and functionality, a user may be asked to include the following information in our membership registration form:
- A display name for the user to be used on Bavel Blocks.
- A parent’s or guardian’s e-mail address.
- Credit card and related billing information.
If you are a Member, you (or, if applicable, your child) are also enabled to provide User Contributions or User-Provided Content to be posted, published or displayed on publicly-accessible areas of Bavel Blocks (such as its forums). Such User Contributions or User-Provided Content may include Personal Information about yourself (or, if applicable, your child) to the extent that you (or your child) choose to include it when creating User Contributions, such as by embedding an image of yourself (or your child) or including your name (or your child’s name) as part of a User Contribution. When a Member chooses to post User Contributions to the publicly-accessible areas of Bavel Blocks (such as its forums) or chooses to publish a User Contribution or User-Provided Content for others to see on Bavel Blocks, such postings or published content are made available generally to the general public via the Web, including all other guests to Bavel Blocks, other users, and other Members. Such User Contributions and User-Provided Content are posted on and transmitted to others at your own risk. We cannot control the actions of other guests, users or Members of Bavel Blocks with whom you (or your child) may choose to share User Contributions or User-Provided Content.
When you access, use and navigate through Bavel Blocks, Bavel Blocks may use certain technologies (described below) to collect automatically the following information:
- Traffic Data / Usage Details. When you access and use Bavel Blocks, we may collect automatically certain details of your (or your child’s) access to and use of Bavel Blocks, including traffic data, logs, and other communication data, navigation paths through Bavel Blocks, the resources that are accesses and use on or through Bavel Blocks and the referring and exit pages.
- Computer and Device Information. When you (or your child) accesses and use Bavel Blocks, we may collect information about your computer or mobile device and your internet connection, including your IP address, operating system, browser type, the mobile device’s unique device identifier and mobile network information.
If you do not want us to collect this information automatically your choice is to not access or use Bavel Blocks (or prohibit your child from accessing or using Bavel Blocks).
We use the following technologies for automatic information collection:
- Cookies (or mobile cookies). A cookie is a small file placed on your computer. It may be possible to refuse to accept cookies by activating the appropriate setting on your browser or mobile device. However, if you select this setting you (or your child) may be unable to access certain parts or features of Bavel Blocks.
- Embedded Code. Certain pages or portions of Bavel Blocks may use embedded hidden code to collect information about usage flows through Bavel Blocks and other similar usage statistics.
Online Tracking and How We Respond to “Do Not Track” Signals
We do not currently collect Personal Information about your (or your child’s) on-line activities over time across third party sites for tracking purposes. We do not currently allow third parties to collect Personal Information on Bavel Blocks that could be used by them to analyze and store information about your (or your child’s) on-line activities over time and across third party sites for tracking purposes. Therefore, Bavel Blocks does not and will not respond to any “DO NOT TRACK” signals sent by your browser or otherwise.
How We Use Your Information
We use information that we collect about you (or your child) or that you (or your child) provide to us, including any Personal Information, to:
- Provide you (or your child) with Bavel Blocks, its interactive features and its contents, as well as any other information or services you request from us;
- Authenticate users and recognize them when they return to Bavel Blocks, as described in the section above titled “Logging in to Bavel Blocks;”
- Process your registration for Bavel Blocks as a Member, including by processing any applicable membership fee;
- Process any payment transactions between you and us via Bavel Blocks, such as in connection with the purchase of Purchase Items;
- If you are a Member, share your (or your child’s) User Contributions or User-Provided Content with others at your (or your child’s) direction, via Bavel Blocks’ web forms and other interactive features designed for this purpose;
- Provide you with important e-mail communications, including to provide you with information about transactions carried out through Bavel Blocks (e.g., registration confirmation or any purchases made via Bavel Blocks), to notify you when updates to Bavel Blocks are available and of any changes to any services we offer or provide through it, and (if you have opted in to such service) to provide you with information about new features of Bavel Blocks and related marketing and promotional materials regarding Bavel Blocks (for information about how you can opt out of receiving certain e-mails from us, see the section below titled “Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information”);
- Re-utilize portions of User Contributions posted to or published on Bavel Blocks (not including any Personal Information) to improve Bavel Blocks and its library of available content;
- Fulfill any other purpose that we describe when you provide the information;
- Fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it;
- Notify you when updates to this Policy occur.
The traffic data, usage details, and “persistent identifiers” (e.g., IP addresses) we collect help us to improve Bavel Blocks and to deliver a better and more personalized experience by enabling us to:
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns.
- Learn to improve the “flow,” organization and user interface of Bavel Blocks.
- Recognize you when you use Bavel Blocks, store Projects you have generated on Bavel Blocks, and otherwise store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize Bavel Blocks according to your individual interests.
- Speed up your searches.
We use the feedback you provide in response to surveys you complete to improve the functionality of Bavel Blocks and ensure our expectations for quality service are being met by our employees and other service providers you may interact with through Bavel Blocks.
Disclosure of Your Information
We may disclose your (or your child’s) information, including your (or your child’s) Personal Information:
- To the general public widely on the Web, including other guests, users or Members of Bavel Blocks, to the extent that you (or your child) choose to include it in User Contributions you (or your child) post or publish publicly, in each case as you (or your child) direct us to do so via Bavel Blocks’s forms and interactive features designed for this purpose;
- To our directors, officers, employees, subsidiaries, parent and affiliates;
- To contractors, service providers and other third parties we use to support our business and help us operate, maintain and improve Bavel Blocks and who (1) need to know such information to support our permitted uses of Personal Information in accordance with this Policy, and (2) are bound by contractual obligations to keep Personal Information confidential and use it only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them;
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution or other sale or transfer of some or all of the Company’s assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation or similar proceeding, in which Personal Information held by us about Bavel Blocks users is among the assets transferred;
- To comply with any court order, law or legal process, including responding to any government or regulatory request;
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of the Company, Bavel Blocks’ guests, users. Members or others;
- For any other purpose disclosed when the information is provided; and
- For any other purpose with your consent.
We may share anonymized or de-identified information—such as traffic data (e.g., audience size and usage patterns) that we collect from cookies, web beacons or other embedded code—that is not tied to any Personal Information with third parties without restriction.
Other than as specifically provided, we do not disclose, sell or lease any Personal Information about you to any third parties.
Social Media Sites and Widgets
You (or your child) may be able to use social media widgets such as the Facebook “Like” button on Bavel Blocks. These widgets will collect your IP address and identify which page is being visited on Bavel Blocks, and make your (or your child’s) preference information available to third parties. The information collected by such widgets is controlled by third party privacy policies, and we encourage you to contact such third parties directly for more information. This feature is not currently enabled as a means for sharing User Contributions with any third parties.
Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information
You have certain choices regarding the Personal Information provided to us:
- If you no longer wish to receive promotional e-mails from us, you can opt-out of such communications by clicking on the “Unsubscribe” or “Updating your e-mail preferences” link in the most recent e-mail you received from us and follow the prompts that appear. This opt-out does not apply to any transactional e-mails you may receive from us (e.g., confirmation of registration, receipt of any purchases made through Bavel Blocks, updates to this Policy, etc.).
Accessing and Correcting Your Information
You may review, change, refuse our further use or collection of, or request the deletion of your (or your child’s) information entered into our membership registration form or any User Contribution at any time by logging into Bavel Blocks and visiting your account profile page, or by sending us an e-mail at [email protected]. All User Contributions are indexed on Bavel Blocks under the display name associated with the applicable membership account, and may be searched and reviewed using such display name.
Because access to certain Personal Information is essential for the proper functioning of Bavel Blocks, we cannot delete certain portions of your (or your child’s) Personal Information except by also deleting your user account. We will notify you at the time you request the deletion of any information whether such deletion will result in the termination of your account. We may not accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
Please note: if you delete your (or your child’s) User Contributions from Bavel Blocks, copies of such User Contributions may remain viewable in cached and archived pages, or might have been copied or stored by other guests, users or Members of Bavel Blocks.
Your California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits users of Bavel Blocks who are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of Personal Information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an e-mail to [email protected]. Please note that we do not currently make disclosures of Personal Information to third parties for marketing purposes.
Protecting Children’s Privacy
We take particular care to protect the privacy of children whose information comes into our possession through Bavel Blocks. The following additional policies and practices will apply with respect to Personal Information of children under the age of 13.
Prior to collecting certain Personal Information from a child under the age of 13, we must obtain “verifiable parental consent” to such information collection from the child’s parent or legal guardian. We currently obtain “verifiable parental consent” (the “Parental Activation process”) using one of two methods:
- Direct Parental Consent – By requiring the parent or legal guardian to provide his or her credit card information (or other similar Automatic Payment Method information) and by processing a charge to such Automatic Payment Method in connection with the membership registration process.
- Parental Consent through a Student’s School – By requiring a student’s authorized teacher, administrator, school or school district (via the terms provided in the following paragraph) to certify that they have obtained the necessary parental consent for the student to use Bavel Blocks and all functionality available to Members of Bavel Blocks (including the posting or publishing of User Contributions or User-Provided Content).
Except as provided above in the section titled “Logging In to Bavel Blocks,” and except in the case where we have obtained “verifiable parental consent” through the Parental Activation process, we do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under the age of 13. If you are under 13 and we have not obtained “verifiable parental consent” from your parent or legal guardian you may not send Personal Information about yourself to us, you may not make any purchases through Bavel Blocks, and you may not use the interactive features of Bavel Blocks described in the preceding paragraph. If we learn we have collected or received Personal Information from a child under 13 without “verifiable parental consent,” we will delete that information. If you believe we may have any such information about a child under age 13, please contact us at [email protected].
We will not condition, and we are prohibited by law from conditioning, any child’s participation in an activity via Bavel Blocks on the child disclosing more Personal Information than is reasonably necessary to participate in such activity.
With respect to the Personal Information that we have collected or that you have provided about your child, you have the right to:
- Request a description of the specific types or categories of Personal Information collected by us about your child.
- Review and change any Personal Information collected by us about your child without unreasonable burden, so long as you are able to provide reasonable assurance to us that such request is being made by the parent or legal guardian of the child.
- Refuse to permit our further use or further online collection of Personal Information about your child.
- Direct us to delete any Personal Information we have collected about your child.
For more information, please see the sections above titled “Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information” and “Accessing and Correcting Your Information.” As noted above, we cannot delete certain Personal Information about your child without also proceeding to delete the applicable membership.
Users Outside of the United States
Bavel Blocks is hosted in the United States and our services are provided from the United States. It is possible that certain information will be stored on servers in multiple other countries on the “cloud” or other similar distributed hosting platforms. If you are a user accessing Bavel Blocks or services from the European Union, Asia or any other region with laws governing personal data collection, use, and disclosure that differ from United States laws, please note that you are transferring your Personal Information outside your home jurisdiction, and that by providing your Personal Information you are consenting to the transfer of your Personal Information (or your child’s Personal Information) to the United States and other jurisdictions as indicated above, and to our use and disclosure of your Personal Information (or your child’s Personal Information) in accordance with this Policy.
We have implemented measures designed to secure your (or your child’s) Personal Information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration and disclosure. All information that you (or your child) provide to us is stored on our servers behind firewalls and certain Personal Information will be encrypted using secure socket layer (SSL) technology.
The safety and security of your (or your child’s) information also depends on you and your child. You and your child are responsible for keeping confidential the username and password of any third party site or authentication service used to log on to Bavel Blocks. We ask you and your child not to share such username or password with anyone. We urge you and your child to be careful about giving out information in public areas of Bavel Blocks such as its forums. The information shared in public areas may be viewed widely by the general public, including any guest, user or Member of Bavel Blocks.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information over the Internet is not completely secure. Although we have implemented security measures that we think are adequate, we cannot guarantee the security of your (or your child’s) Personal Information transmitted to Bavel Blocks. Any transmission of Personal Information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on Bavel Blocks.